Author Topic: Questions & Answers  (Read 88152 times)

Offline Red_Line

• Assistant plasma fusion boiler stoker, grade 218
  • Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Let's see what these things will do...
    • Red_Line's Futurama Fanfic stash
Re: Questions & Answers
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
There is supposed to be a button for embedding flash, but I don't see it.  It's supposed to look like this: .

According to help / BBC Code, the [flash] tags should do the same thing, BUT, you have to have the URL to a flash file, something I don't think YouTube will give you.  This may explain the presumption of it not working.  Anyway, I used my Admin superpowers to delve around in the innards of the Forum configs and it doesn't appear to be shut off.  :confused:

Also according to the documentation, the [html] tags ought to work.  Let's see:

Hot damn in the morning, it actually worked!  So here's how, go to YouTube, find your video, click share and then embed and copy the code that begins with <iframe ...

Then in your post type [html], paste in the code YouTube gave you, and then [/html].  eg:

[html]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k0SsR2y6Tgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/html]

Please don't make me regret figuring this out.  :smirk:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert  Einstein

my fanfics  |  How to submit  |  FMMB rules  |  FMMB FAQ

Offline Kaboom

• Osiris 4 Priest
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
[nobbc]
"nobbc"? Wow, Tim. You are my hero for showing us that one. XD

There is supposed to be a button for embedding flash, but I don't see it.  It's supposed to look like this: .

According to help / BBC Code, the [flash] tags should do the same thing, BUT, you have to have the URL to a flash file, something I don't think YouTube will give you.  This may explain the presumption of it not working.  Anyway, I used my Admin superpowers to delve around in the innards of the Forum configs and it doesn't appear to be shut off.  :confused:
Huh. I haven't tried in a couple years, but I remember even going into the page source code on youtube to find the direct link.

Thanks, Tim.

Edit:
TESTING
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/um39FCq4LYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"I would say that was the cavalry, but I've never seen a line of horses crash into the battlefield from outer space before." - Agent David Washington

Offline FryGuy

• The Runic Sage
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Had to be me. Someone else mightve gotten it wrong
    • Youtube
« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »
Well shucks,  I guess I ought to have TRIED it before asking.  (I say this because of how the forum uses [ instead of <   

But thanks for the info!

FMMBs Facebook page

"I'm not a Human being; I walk in Eternity"- The Doctor

Offline Kaboom

• Osiris 4 Priest
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
Edit:
TESTING
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/um39FCq4LYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Doesn't work for regular members. Just removes the [html] code automatically when I post.
"I would say that was the cavalry, but I've never seen a line of horses crash into the battlefield from outer space before." - Agent David Washington

Offline Boiler

• aka Red_Line as a normal user
  • Buggalo Farmer
  • Red_Line's normal user test account
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:22 AM »
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k0SsR2y6Tgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, dang it, you're right.   :confused:

Offline Kaboom

• Osiris 4 Priest
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure all forum software disables html for regular members by default.

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »
There's a permission that allows users to add attachments that is set to deny and I'm guessing that's why the html tag is getting stripped out.  Sorry.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert  Einstein

Offline Kaboom

• Osiris 4 Priest
« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
Probably best to leave it like that anyways. Wouldn't want someone new joining and spamming html everywhere. ..Unless you could enable it by rank or something.

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
I'm on a foreign computer and forced to use IE which I never use, and Madhouse isn't rendering Avatars.  I presume there are other people here who use IE and whould have said something, so I expect it's something on this system.  I don't even know what version of IE I'm using since I have no idea what's happened to the Help menu where about IE used to live (In fact I have no idea where the whole friggin' menu went).  There's probably some security setting in IE I need to tweak.

Offline Graham

• Administrator
  • MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »
Maybe we're in some Utopia where no one except one person uses IE and it's your turn today. Suffice it to say, but I haven't seen any complaints and Opera, Firefox and Seamonkey are playing fine with the site for me.

Offline Kaboom

• Osiris 4 Priest
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
I'm on a foreign computer and forced to use IE which I never use, and Madhouse isn't rendering Avatars.  I presume there are other people here who use IE and whould have said something, so I expect it's something on this system.  I don't even know what version of IE I'm using since I have no idea what's happened to the Help menu where about IE used to live (In fact I have no idea where the whole friggin' menu went).  There's probably some security setting in IE I need to tweak.
In Windows, you can almost always invoke a program's menu by pressing the ALT key. Usually, it's toggle - but some have it press-and-hold. If you're using IE8 or 9, you can also find about by clicking on the gear in the upper right of the window.

Also, for s**ts and headaches, I loaded up the forum on IE9 and avatars did seem to load... they just took a ridiculous three seconds to do so. (3 seconds is ridiculous because my computer is a behemoth. FFS, my  Android ICS phone takes less time to load a page on this forum.)

Maybe we're in some Utopia where no one except one person uses IE and it's your turn today.
I always figured the world would end before everybody stopped using Internet Explorer. *looks at calendar* Maybe the Mayans were right.

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
Maybe we're in some Utopia where no one except one person uses IE and it's your turn today.

There's an old joke whose punch line is "It's your turn in the barrel".  For some reason that reminded me of that.   :crylol:

I figured it was some browser thing but didn't feel like making the effort to figure it out for the short time I would be on it.  Plus it was a vi$ta machine so it was fubared by design.  It was much easier to berate the owner for not having an alternative browser available.  ;)