Author Topic: WARNING: The server is throwing a fit!  (Read 3828 times)

Offline LeandroTLZ

• Administrator
  • Insane Drunken Robot
WARNING: The server is throwing a fit!
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:58 AM »
We're currently experiencing some issues with the server. This may cause new posts or registrations to fail, and who knows what else. We're working on it!

Offline Graham

• Administrator
  • MomCorp Stockholder
Re: WARNING: The server is throwing a fit!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Server guy says that all is now well. I'm taking the forum out of Maintenance Mode.

Offline Red_Line

• Assistant plasma fusion boiler stoker, grade 218
  • Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Let's see what these things will do...
    • Red_Line's Futurama Fanfic stash
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
Yesterday we had an issue where the site was giving an "Internal Server Error".  That got fixed but now we seem to be having some intermittent issues with connectivity.   :frown:  The uber-admins are aware of it and are looking into it.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert  Einstein

my fanfics  |  How to submit  |  FMMB rules  |  FMMB FAQ

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
As I'm sure everyone is painfully aware of, we're still having intermittent connectivity issues.  We've got some stats from the hosting service and it looks like the back end database is getting hammered.  We may have to reinstall the forum software to fix it.  Stay tuned.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert  Einstein

Offline Graham

• Administrator
  • MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
We have reinstalled the forum's software and monitoring if this has fixed the issue. If anyone notices anything wrong with the board, please contact one of the admins. I don't mean timeouts and stuff, but anything about the board that's not quite as it was before this trouble started.

Offline LeandroTLZ

• Administrator
  • Insane Drunken Robot
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »
I have been working with the host's tech support for the last few days to find a solution, but it seems that the host's tech support is terrible and does not want to admit that there is any problem. Or, rather, they insist the problem is on our end and wants us to "fix it" without telling me WHAT the problem IS to begin with. We might need to switch hosts, so if you have a recommendation for a hosting service (from personal experience hosting sites) please email me. We need about 5GB of disk space and 500GB monthly transfer; one SQL database, SSI, Perl and PHP.

Offline Graham

• Administrator
  • MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
Well, it looks like we've got ourself a new home on a hosting company from Canada (eh?). However, let me warn you all that I'm having great difficulty getting a full backup of the forum's database from our current host, so we might lose a few days of posts after the move. I have a backup dated 16th Jan at 8:41pm (GMT), so any posts after that will go missing if that's the backup I'm forced to use. I'm still trying to get a full backup before we leave our current host, but I'm just warning you all in case I don't succeed. Damn silly hosts. Off to Canada we go!

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:33:23 AM »
We have been advised by our hosting service that on Wednesday, April 20th 2016, from 12:01 AM to 6:01 AM US Pacific daylight time (0701 to 1301 UTC) network maintenance will be conducted in the service's Vancouver data center.  During the maintenance window, you may experience brief periods of packet loss and/or latency of up to 2 to3 minutes when accessing FM/TLZ and FMMB (in laymens' terms, you might get errors or see REALLY slow response for a few minutes).

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:30 AM »
We have been advised that our hosting service will be performing a scheduled maintenance on our web server. This maintenance will take place this Tuesday, the 12th of April, starting at 7AM PST (about now if my gonculations are correct). The maintenance will take up to 2 hours to complete. In most cases, downtime is usually less than 5 minutes, however there can be up to 30 minutes of downtime (in a worse case scenario).

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:02:50 PM »
Since it's Halloween I decide it would be good if I put on my main site hat and rise from the dead, except I find that the coffin lid has been pretty well nailed shut in the form of some kind of permissions error that isn't allowing me to upload fan art or update the main site.  I've alerted Leandro and Graham, hopefully one of them will be able to get it fixed yet today.  But if not, that's my current excuse for no updates.  :rolleyes:

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:39:17 AM »
We have been notified by our hosting service that they will be conducting maintenance on Saturday March 25, 2017 between 5:00 AM EST (1000 UTC) to 6:00 AM EST (1100 UTC).  Futurama Madhouse may experience a service interruption of up to 30 minutes during the maintenance window.

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:41 AM »
The main site is not dead, really.  But there is something wrong with the updater and I haven't been able to push a news update in over a month.  Leandro is aware of it and hopefully he'll get it fixed sooner or later.  There's some new fan art by Spaceman130, kaspired, and Ryvul, and a new fic by Gulliver.  There were also a couple of photos sent to me but I haven't uploaded those yet 'cause that process is broken also.  Damn computers.  :rolleyes:

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:18 PM »
Still not able to update the main site and there's some other weirdness going on.  Leandro and I have been on it and we're having "discussions" with our hosting service, who have been going out of their way to piss us off.  :mad:  A change of hosts may be in the works soon.  Stay tuned.

Offline Red_Line

• Administrator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
I had a chat with our hosting service today and we believe they have resolved all outstanding issues and that we have an agreement for going forward.

At issue was two things: 

1 - they would occasionally muck about in our environment without telling us and without obtaining our permission.  This would cause things to break and it would take us time and effort to figure out what was going on and fix it.  They have promised not to do this again.

2 - Like many web sites today, FM/TLZ and FMMB relies on SSL certificates to encrypt and validate traffic between the servers that host the sites and the end user.  Ours expired over two months ago and, while this did not take the sites down, it did cause some weird behavior that was initially difficult to troubleshoot.  And the fact that the three of us that manage the site all live on different continents and are busy with Real Life didn't help.  And our host took their sweet time figuring out and resolving the problem after we told them what it was.  :rolleyes:   The certs were renewed last Thursday and were installed by 2000 GMT Friday, so if you've seen any (unintentional) weirdness with the site, it should be gone now.  If you find some things that don't seem to work right please flush your browser's cache.  If they still don't work, let me know.

The good news is I can apparently update the main site again.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:04:49 PM by Red_Line »