Author Topic: The Targ Whisperer  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
Re: The Targ Whisperer
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
And we all remember the puppet one on Star Trek III: "Feed him!!"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline dinkdrinker

• Osiris 4 Priest
  • Funny dude- well, at least looks aren't EVERYTHING
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »
“No Daddy,” Phibby said firmly, “Her name is Fluffy.”

Fluffy  :crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Well, there goes the Internet

Offline Flounder

• Chief Engineer of the Planet Express Ship
  • Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Ad astra! (To the stars!)
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2017, 03:54:57 AM »
Phibby held the leash like a good Targ Whisperer.  Arm down at her side, no tension on the leash.  Nothing but calm, assertive energy.

Think I know where she gets it: from her grandfather, Yancy Fry Sr., if ya know what I mean. ;)

"Momsanto" :crylol: :giggle:

Ramon, this tale is developing VERY well; as only a master storyteller like you can write it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »
Thank you all!  I am doing a shippy bit right now. :heart: Even though they are an old married couple, they still have some action now and then.  :devil:
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2017, 01:59:07 AM »
Fry & Leela’s Apartment

The kids were in bed.  Fluffy was in her cage and Nibbler was comfortably ensconced in his accustomed spot in Phibby’s bed. Fry sat quietly on the couch as Leela returned from the kitchen.  She carried a tray with a bowl of popcorn as well as two iced beers. “She is so beautiful,” he thought. “How the heck has she been able to put up with me all these years?”

Leela caught the look.  Several years of marriage and many sessions with their marriage counselor, Venus had almost established a telepathic link.  He was admiring her and that caused her to smile inwardly.

She smiled, “Ready for a little ape fight action?”

Fry grinned, “Got it all set.” He gestured to the Televid, “Howard Cosell’s head is giving five-to-one on Megachimp.”

Leela sat down next to Fry, placing the tray carefully on the coffee table. She looked dubious, “Five-to-one?” She shook her head, “I’d think it was closer to even odds.”

“Cosell thinks the Orangunator has learned some new moves.”

“We’ll see.” She leaned her head onto Fry’s shoulder. His quick uptake of breath let her know once again that she still ‘had it’…and that made her feel secure…and a bit naughty.

With an impish grin, Leela slid her hand onto Fry’s thigh and gave it a gentle squeeze. His reaction gave her even more satisfaction.  After clearing his throat, Fry leaned over and gently kissed her forehead, “I love you Leela.”

Her eye met his eyes, “I love you too, Fry.”

Fry cleared his throat again, “Are you…um…tired…or anything?”

Leela had to stifle a laugh.  Poor Fry, being subtle wasn’t his strong suite. After a moment’s reflection, she decided to string things out a bit.  After all, anticipation was half the fun. “No.  I’m good.  I’m looking forward to the fight.”

His crestfallen “Oh” made her feel sorry for teasing him.  She snuggled closer to him and whispered, “I have plenty of energy both to watch the fight and for a little snuggle afterwards.”

He put his arm around her and settled in to watch the fight.

“Fry.”

“Yes, Leela.”

“Well, we’ve been busy lately and I have kept forgetting to talk to you about something.” She said as she absently stroked his knee.

“Um…sure.” He found her touch as stimulating and distracting as always.

“It’s just that Mom wants me to take over her job at Momcorp.” She paused, “I can’t seem to make up my mind about it.”

Fry felt a cold lump form in his belly. A cascade of headaches with pictures ran through his mind. Run Momcorp! Sure…Leela could do it…but would she turn into Mom in the process? Worse, would she have to wear the fat suit? What about the kids? What about snu-snu?

Leela saw the shocked look on Fry’s face and could feel him tensing up. “Baby, it’s only an offer. I said I haven’t made up my mind.  I just wanted to talk to you.” She hugged him tightly, “You are my husband, after all.”

Fry blurted out, “I just couldn’t see you wearing the fat suit.”

Leela snorted as she stifled a laugh.  She didn’t want to wake the kids, nor did she want to hurt Fry’s feelings. “Me neither.” She continued, “But it would mean a whole lot more money. We’d be set for life.”

Fry thought for a moment, “True.” He chewed his lip, “But would it be worth it? I mean…we have a great life as it is!” He gestured toward the children’s rooms, “Geez, if you were Mom then you’d hardly ever see the kids, would you?”

“That’s why I wanted to talk it over with you, Fry.” She put her hand on his chest, “I had a lot of the same thoughts.”

“Holy crud!” Fry exclaimed.

“What?”

“The Orangunator just knocked Megachimp out of the ring!” Fry said excitedly.

“Fry,” Leela said somewhat archly, “We’re discussing something serious.”

“Oh, sorry.” Fry looked her in the eye. “I just love the way things are…I wouldn’t change a thing.”

“Ok then.” Leela smiled, “I’ll turn Mom down. I never wanted to be an industrialist anyway.”

Fry exhaled, “Whew! I’m glad to hear that!”

They settled in to watch the rest of the fight.  After getting thrown once, Megachimp returned to thrash the Orangunator thoroughly in the next four rounds.  By the time the match was over, Leela had begun to doze.  Fry shut off the Televid and sat there quietly, looking intently at her as she slept. She awoke with a start, “Who won?”

“Megachimp.” Fry said with a smile. “I just won $100 bucks from Bender.”

“Fry,” Leela frowned. “Betting with Bender?”

“It was my beer money.” He sounded apologetic, “I’d never bet anything else.”

“Sorry, Fry.” She kissed him gently. “I keep forgetting how much you have matured in the past few years.”

“Kids will do that for you.”

“Yep.”

“Ready for bed?” He said quietly.

In response Leela stood, still holding his hand. “Come on Daddy.  Mommy needs some loving.”

Fry jumped up as though he were rocket propelled, “Daddy’s ready!”

Arm in arm, they went into their bedroom, closing the door quietly behind them
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
“The Orangunator just knocked Megachimp out of the ring!” Fry said excitedly.

The Orangunator is a golden gem of a name!  :)

“It’s just that Mom wants me to take over her job at Momcorp.” She paused, “I can’t seem to make up my mind about it.”

I've often wondered about writing a death scene for Mom...
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
Run Momcorp! Sure…Leela could do it…but would she turn into Mom in the process?

Wonder if that will require renaming the company? Cycorp, maybe? :)

I've often wondered about writing a death scene for Mom...

A quick surprised look and face-planting her desk.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
A quick surprised look and face-planting her desk.

It's got to be more Black Adder-ish - the eyes get huge, she says "Crap nuggets!," points into the distance, and then the head hits the desk.

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:05 AM »
Now, for a bit more.
MomCorp Offices, 1 Trump Plaza, New-New York

Mom had just gotten out of her fat suit when Walter entered her office unannounced and unbidden. On top of it all, she had learned through her sources only moments before that Leela was planning to turn her down on the offer to become the new CEO of MomCorp.  Seeing Walt standing there with his usual oily smile made her want to puke. How had she ever spawned such miserable examples of human beings? Two of the most brilliant men she knew had produced such cringing, scheming, downright stupid boys.

Her voice cracked like a whip, “What do you want, you dumb bastard?”

“Mother, John Zoidberg is here to see you.” He said in his most unctuous tones.

Her attitude switched from one of irritation to curiosity in an instant. Zoidberg! To see her? Why on Earth would he come after all of these years?

She stepped up close to Walt, who cringed. “How long has he been waiting?”

“Only five minutes, Mother.” Walt replied. “I came in as soon as I could.”

She considered slapping him silly just to keep him straight but decided against it. “Send him in.”

In a few short moments Zoidberg breezed into the office with Walt skulking in his wake. Zoidberg said cheerfully, “So Carol, how have you been these past few years?”

“Richer every day,” Mom replied with a smile.  Why did she have a soft spot for this silly Decapodian? Was it his connection to Hubert? Or was it his brilliant ability as a researcher? Oh well, never bother yourself with questions without answers.  She gestured to a chair in front of her oversized desk, “Sit down, John.” When he had taken a seat she asked, “So, what brings you here?”

“I wanted to visit my old friend the Professor, why not?”

“He’s very busy, you know.”

“Oy! Don’t I know it.” Zoidberg made a mournful noise, “He hardly has time to say boo to me. So I thought, why not spend some time here as a visiting researcher?”

“You could have your own lab, John.”

“I know Carol, but I just want to spend some time working alongside the Professor.”

“I think that can be arranged.” She lit a cigarette before barking at Walt who was still lurking in the background, “Go get me a cream soda, you jerkwad.”

“Yes, mother.” Walt slithered out of the room. Mom shook her head, “Children.”

“I’ve never spawned so I wouldn’t know.” He laughed. “If I had, we wouldn’t be talking."

“John, I wanted you to help me with a project.”

“Sure, Carol.”

“I’m trying to find a cure for the effects of Lake Mutagenic.”

“Don’t you have anyone else working on it?”

“Yes. But they aren’t up to scratch.” She took a long drag of her cigarette and blew a plume of smoke before responding. “I need the smartest geneticist I know.”

“Will he be working with me?”

Carol gave a short bark of laughter, “No John. I mean you.”

“Well, the Yeti thing didn’t go so well. That’s why I quit.”

“I know.” She stubbed her cigarette out in an ashtray. “But I still want you…I need you.”

“Well then, I’m your crab.”

Walt returned at that moment, bringing a cream soda. “Here you are Mother,” he said unctuously.

“Take Dr. Zoidberg to personnel.” She took the can from Walt’s outstretched hand, “Get him registered to work in the lab. He’s going to be a visiting researcher. If he asks for anything – get it for him.”

“Yes Mother.”

Mom smiled one of her rare smiles, “See you tomorrow, John.”

“Tomorrow, Carol.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:01:07 AM by Ramon 51 »
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:17 PM »
Love seeing Mom and Zoidy together in the same scene.

“Well then, I’m your crab.”

Great line.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:00:32 AM by Ramon 51 »

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »
Brother Ramon, this is the post I tried to put up after your 6/30 'shippy F/L episode:

"You're going to do his laundry?", indeed. :giggle:

...“Howard Cosell’s head is giving five-to-one on Megachimp.”

Ramon, you're dating both of us: you by referencing Cosell, and me for instantly hearing his distinctive voice in my mind's ear. ;)

Fry cleared his throat again, “Are you…um…tired…or anything?”

Leela had to stifle a laugh.  Poor Fry, being subtle wasn’t his strong suite. After a moment’s reflection, she decided to string things out a bit.  After all, anticipation was half the fun.

Truth, brother!  This is SO Fry and Leela.  'Shippy episodes are the best of them all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
Fry & Leela’s Apartment

Lord Nibbler stood in front of Fluffy’s cage, regarding her with all three of his eyes.  The family was out of the apartment.  They had gone to Morris and Munda’s for a family dinner and wouldn’t be back until late. He couldn’t make up his mind. Should he devour Fluffy to keep her from hurting one of the children? Numerous trips to the Klingon home world of Qo’noS showed him how vicious they could be in their native state.  Was Woof the Targ Whisperer right?  Were Targs just misunderstood?

His mind drifted to his trips to Qo’noS as joH ghaH 'Iv Hoch natlh (Lord he who consumes everything). The Klingons were a difficult people to deal with, but he had learned their language and culture well enough to negotiate a treaty or two. He’d even met Woof at some diplomatic bunfight in the days before the Targ Whisperer. Woof seemed competent enough.

He paced back and forth in front of the cage, while Fluffy placidly followed his movement with her eyes. The last time Nibbler had eaten a Targ, it had given him frightful gas. Still, that would be a small price to pay to keep the children of the Mighty Ones safe. But was it necessary?

Fluffy exhaled sharply and licked her lips, causing her tusks to gleam wetly. But she didn’t look menacing! Nibbler thought about how upset Phibby would be if Fluffy were to vanish into his maw. He was very fond of Phibby. She had a connection with other living things that was almost mystical. Every animal she encountered saw her as a friend.  That was a rare quality, one to be cherished.

Would it protect her from the tusks of this Targ? After thinking for a few moments, Nibbler decided that, yes – it would. But what about the boys? They were another matter. And yet…they followed their sister’s lead in everything. Well…almost everything. For one thing, they tended to leave the seat up.

A few more moments of deliberation  and Nibbler decided the boys were safe as well. Still, he would keep a close eye on Fluffy. The children of the Mighty Ones were not to be risked.  Both of the boys lacked a Delta wave so they were extra insurance against the brain spawn. Besides, they scratched his back in the most satisfying way.

His mind made up, Nibbler hopped up onto Phibby’s bed. Going to his bedding at the foot, he circled around in it before settling in.  As he closed his eyes, his last thoughts were of how much he missed Phibby and the boys.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:36:36 AM by Ramon 51 »
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
Love the Klingon!

The last time Nibbler had eaten a Targ, it had given him frightful gas. Still, that would be a small price to pay to keep the children of the Mighty Ones safe. But was it necessary?

...just Ramon showing us that he is The Man... :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:23:44 PM by Gulliver63 »

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »
"...diplomatic bunfight..."  Hahaha!

We don't see Nibbler often enough in an introspective state.  But there are clues in The Show that portray him being so.

Very well-written, as always. :thumbsup: :giggle: :thumbsup:

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
I have been so busy with making I living, I have forgotten to make a life.  :crying: I'll add some more soon...hopefully.
C. S. Lewis