Author Topic: Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny  (Read 757 times)

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »
...It is with great pleasure that I present the fourth part of my magnum opus on the life of my favorite cartoon character. One of the things that made this series so fun for me was that hardly anything about this person's life was ever talked about in the show. That being said, almost everything in this story is head-canon. This story covers some of Morgan's early years as a bureaucrat, and, here is the fun part - it takes us up to that fateful episode in the show that we get to meet her, "How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back."  Without further adieu, here's our favorite bureaucrat doing what she loves doing best, being an annoyance to other people.

The Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny
by Robert L. Fitzpatrick

Morgan Proctor kept her eyes drilled on the back of the slimy dark restaurant. She knew that success was right around the corner, if she'd only be diligent enough. Her stocky partner, Bernie Simard, could care less at this point as he lay slumped down in the seat of the air-car next to her.
   "Bernie," she said in a loud whisper, "I just know that bastard is going to come out into this alley at any minute and destroy paperwork."
   A tired voice arose from the seat next to her. "W-what?"
   "Bernie...I'm ashamed at you. How could you sleep at a time like this? It's only 3:30...and the action is just about to begin."
   "Very easily...if you'd only let me. It's just a stupid stake-out...nothing will happen."
   She bit her lip as she gazed through her binoculars. "What a sloppy excuse for a restaurant...Chez Neptune. You'd be lucky if your food doesn't start crawling away..."
   "Some of it is supposed to...you know that. Remember the video they showed us on being sensitive to Neptunians? Now let me get some shut-eye...nothing's going to happen."
   Morgan's eyes grew wide as she saw the back door of the restaurant open. Her jaw then dropped as she watched the owner sneak out with a huge pile of files and a document shredder. He looked both ways down the alley before beginning to shred his paperwork.
   "By the Demon Kings of Mars, Bernie - he's doing it." She nudged her portly partner. "Wake up - it's show time!"
   Morgan Proctor then activated her microphone. "Send in the drones! Red Leader this is Red 2 - we have a 493 in progress...I  repeat, a four-niner three in progress. He's shredding files!"
   The chunky Neptunian looked around in terror as he heard the footsteps of agents getting nearer. He watched a young bureaucrat quickly walk up to him, followed by others in suits.
   "You...yes, you - put the paperwork down and step away from it. You are to cease and desist any and all destruction of paperwork. This is a Lightning Audit."
   The manager looked at her in shock. "An audit? At 3:30 in the bloody morning?"
   "Oh, you thought we were sleeping. Mister Nama, I'll have you know that the Bureaucracy never sleeps. You may think that we do, but there's a big eyeball in the sky that keeps a watch on you wrong-doers day and night. Give me those files."
   "What, these? These are just old files. Just let me shred them and we'll all just go to bed, no? Maybe I give you some free meals, no?"
   "Mr. Nama, I wouldn't feed your food to my dog - I'm not that cruel."
   Morgan's partner chatted with an Internal Security Bureau agent. "How does she do it?" asked the agent. "Even at this hour her suit looks neat and pressed. And her hair is perfect."
   "You just have to know her. She's so anal that the most boring detail to her is a huge adventure. She's got no stinking life. There's no one that even wants to be around her except that stupid Doberman she won't shut up about - at least he gets doggie treats out of the deal."
   The manager got agitated at Morgan's comment. "Young lady, I'll have you know that we make the finest Uranus slime worm in the galaxy." Before she could stop him he then pulled out a small spice weasel and squeezed it in her direction.
   Morgan began coughing and her eyes were burning. As the man broke into a run down the dark alley, Morgan began shouting. "He's fleeing the audit! He's fleeing the audit!"
   Morgan broke into a run after the man. The heels of her dress shoes made a loud clacking sound on the cobblestones of the alleyway. "Don't make me chase you, sucker - I was on the track team at Syracuse North High School!"
   "You'll never catch me, evil Bureaucracy woman!" The man kept running, almost as if this were a game. He stopped and looked up in a panic at a brick wall where the alley ended. He spun around.
   Morgan heard chattering in her earpiece: "Drone is launched." She stopped so fast that her shoes skidded on the cobblestones. Her breath was heavy; she wasn't the young girl who used to run track anymore. She studied her trapped prey for a couple of seconds and then pulled a device from under her suit coat.
   The restaurant manager began shouting excitedly. "You can't shoot me! I know how your bureaucracy works, woman! You can't shoot me! I am a citizen of the galaxy, and I have rights!"
   "You...are a tax cheat and you serve maggoty food, Mr. Nama." She pressed a button on the side of the device, and a red laser came to life. She placed the laser spot on the man's stomach.
   The man's tone changed. "Lady! We can work this out, no? Surely we can come to some sort of deal..."
   "The time for a deal is over; you chose to make a fool of my Bureaucracy and I. Now comes the pay-off..."
   "But lady - I don't want any goop!!"
   Morgan spoke into her microphone. "Target is painted - bring the goop." Behind her came the familiar 'swish-swish-swish' sound of a G-22A1 Goop Drone. The wicked metallic body of the beast came swooping down the alley behind Morgan, extending a steel proboscis from under its belly.
   "Lady! Stop this...can't I make some sort of plea bargain?"
   "Just hold your breath, Mr. Nama; it will all be over in a second. And, just for your information, the Bureaucracy doesn't plea bargain."
   The man found himself blasted with a massive pile of sticky yellow-orange goop fired from the drone; the gooey mixture smelled faintly of oranges. The only thing sticking out of the goop was a hand, and his fingers moved around feebly in the night air -  they were the only part of him still free.
   Morgan quickly took charge of the situation as her fellow agents moved in. "He needs an air hole...quickly."
   "Does he have any weapons?" asked an agent.
   "Just the spice weasel...and it's probably got some spice left in it. He got a lucky shot at me with it." She began to cough again.
   "Are you going to be alright? Should we call for a medical?"
   "I'll be fine - he's a lousy shot."

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
Re: Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Is it just me, or does young Morgan look a bit like Dana Scully?

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Is it just me, or does young Morgan look a bit like Dana Scully?

Actually, I didn't even think of that, but I did have a great time ripping off a "Fargo" quote - "He's fleeing the interview! He's fleeing the interview!"
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »
El, in actual answer to your question, I did model the hair after Sandy Bullock in "Demolition Man."

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
Sorry, couldn't help it. I'm off work, and it's just what I do...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:15:02 PM by Gulliver63 »

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
...after Morgan's bad guy is subdued, it's time to get ready for...a wedding...

The agents were able to get a large straw into the Neptunian's mouth before the goo turned solid. He was now like an insect trapped in amber. As they propped him up, Morgan wanted to have one last word with him. Later they would spray a chemical on the goo to make it fall off of him, and he would be left unharmed. And, of course, the spice weasel would be quickly taken from him and checked into Weapons Division for evidence.
   Her eye make-up was running, and her eyes still burned from the spice. "Spice weasel," she told him, "the oldest trick in the book. You could have blinded me with that. And I'll just bet that you don't even have a permit to carry one."
   He mumbled something.
   "What was that?" she asked.
   "I think he's asking for a lawyer," said a woman agent.
   "You'll be appointed a Bureaucratic counselor in due time, Mr. Nama. Get his smelly hide out of here." Morgan jerked her thumb, and the ISB agents carried him off to a nearby air van.
   When Morgan got back to the crime scene, agents were collecting the scattered paperwork. "You forgot one over there," she told them. "I don't want a single paper left in this alley."
   A jubilant young drone pilot came out to chat with Morgan. "Hey, Miss P - what do you think of my piloting skills?"
   Morgan smiled. "Mr. Keung, your reputation is still intact. Nice flying tonight."
   "Concealed and congealed," the young man boasted as he gave Morgan a high-five. "It's like our unit motto says, 'Born to Goo.'"
   "What was he shredding?" asked Bernie.
   "It's about time you made it over here, you slouch." She picked up one of the papers, and then showed it to him. "Board of Health, Mr. Simard. You could have taken your family to eat here. Just remember the first bureaucratic law - frivolity is a stern taskmaster. We can't afford to let our guard down...not even for a minute. There's a whole city full of citizens that depend on us -  and I'm not letting them down on my watch."
   "What now?" he asked.
   Morgan walked back to the aging black Kamov air-car. "Now? More paperwork. And then I'll go home and collapse with exhaustion. I don't have long to prepare for the wedding." She then turned back to her partner. "Are you ready for tomorrow? There's a pizza joint down near Clifford Simak Park - I'm pretty sure that they're underpaying their staff."
   "Why don't you take some time off and actually prepare for your own wedding?"
   "Time off is for slackers, you know that. Besides, I've already been preparing for it. Fortune favors the prepared. And then - I'll be married to the bureaucrat of my dreams."

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »
Would you believe, right at this moment, I am actually shredding a pile of old documents? I half-expected the IRD to come crashing through the door and go 'freeze, sucker!'. :)

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:25:26 AM »
Would you believe, right at this moment, I am actually shredding a pile of old documents?

You see, they could be watching you right now. At least you don't serve poorly prepared Uranus slime worm to people...  :saywhat:

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:26 AM »
You see, they could be watching you right now.

Too late, all my old bank statements are now only suitable for compost! Mwahaha!  >:D

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Too late, all my old bank statements are now only suitable for compost!

I guess you're suitable to be "goo-ed" then. I myself once worked for what was then a huge company, and had a really great work record there; they have since disappeared from the face of the Earth like the dinosaurs; I would so love to let perspective employers talk with these guys, but wouldn't know how to go about doing it.

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
I myself once worked for what was then a huge company, and had a really great work record there; they have since disappeared from the face of the Earth like the dinosaurs

If they got bought out there will be a record somewhere, maybe even some old bosses would still be around. But if they went bankrupt, that would be harder. Am pretty sure you don't want to hire lawyers to research this just for a reference.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »
It just goes to show you how business works, at least in this country. In 1995 they were a huge company, coast to coast, and by 2006 they were gone.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 02:49:27 PM »
Morgan Proctor has the perfect wedding planned...what could possibly go wrong?

Morgan stood there in her white wedding gown in the tiny St. Buddha Amalgamated Church waiting. Walter Abshire, she thought, where are you, you scoundrel? You're always early. You'd be the only one early to your own funeral - and you'd be well prepared with the best suit.
   Morgan looked back at her father, and then over at her mother; it was a rare moment that the two of them could be seen together in the same room without trying to tear each other's throats out.
   "Is he even going to show?" asked Conrad Proctor.
   "Oh, Daddy...don't worry - he'll be here. Maybe he's stuck in traffic in Little Neptune or something."
   He smiled. "You always were my stubborn little Leo girl."
   Morgan's stern Scottish mother added to the conversation. "I tried telling you that young sod Walter was no good - he's on the verge of destroying the most important day in my baby's life."
   "Mother...he'll show. If Walter isn't on time, there's got to be some good explanation..."
   Morgan Proctor's wrist thingee went off. "See? He's probably gotten hung up somewhere." She looked up at the High Priestess. "Surely you can delay if you need to..."
   Morgan's mother pressed for details. "Well Morgan, what does it say? Where is he?"
   Morgan Proctor didn't say anything as she looked down at the screen; she just stood there with her mouth hanging open like she'd just seen a car wreck. Without another word, she quietly walked out of the changing room and made her way out into the street.
   "Where do you think she's going?" asked her mother. "Conrad, go see where she is."
   Conrad Proctor found his daughter on the steps of the church facing traffic. Without warning, she let out a blood-curdling scream that could be heard for blocks...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:40:34 AM by Flounder »

Offline MTC29

• Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »
Are we going to get to see a drawing of Morgan in her wedding gown? I'm sure that the style is quite conservative.
Nothing can be made idiot proof because idiots are far too clever.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
Are we going to get to see a drawing of Morgan in her wedding gown? I'm sure that the style is quite conservative.

I've got a doodle I'll post at the end of my work shift.