Author Topic: Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny  (Read 443 times)

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
Re: Morgan Chronicles IV: An Appointment with Destiny
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
I absolutely love the way you are weaving Morgan into the canon story line. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: "Dirty Boy!" :crylol:
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
I absolutely love the way you are weaving Morgan into the canon story line.

Thanks! This is the one I couldn't wait to share with you guys. I literally pulled out the first episode and re-watched it for this story. And I took parts of the previous story and weaved them into here.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 01:06:38 AM »
Please keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wannaeat:
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Flounder

• Chief Engineer of the Planet Express Ship
  • Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Ad astra! (To the stars!)
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
Bureaucracy sux! :crylol:

Truer words were never spoken...Bet each one of us could spend all day and half the night telling horror stories.

At least the Central Bureaucracy is interesting with Morgan Proctor just being herself.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
At least the Central Bureaucracy is interesting with Morgan Proctor just being herself.

To Morgan bureaucratic red tape is like a wonderful dance that she loves participating in.  :smile:
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »
...Morgan finally comes home after her busy day, and it all hits her at once...

Morgan Proctor finally arrived at her apartment late in the evening after a long day of work. She gave her voice command to her door, and it slid open. As she kicked her shoes off, she grabbed a doggie treat out of a nearby bin.
   "Augustus - komm...mach schnell."
   A happy Doberman arrived, wagging his stubby remnant of a tail. As she gave him the treat, she rubbed his head. Then the tears came; she'd held her anguish in far too long. Morgan slumped against a wall for what must have been a half an hour, bawling like a child. Her eye make-up ran down her cheeks like small dark rivers. Augustus continued to lick her hand, oblivious to what she was going through - he just wanted more treats. It seemed like the dragon lady of the Bureaucracy was neither a dragon, nor a machine like everyone thought. The wedding disaster tore her heart out, and there was no hiding it any longer. This was going to be her day, and it was ruined. Her dreams of raising children in the shining glow of the Bureaucracy were dashed to pieces on the ground.
   When she composed herself, Augustus was still loyally standing there. She continued to scratch his head and neck. "You're better to me than anyone else I know," she told him with a shaky voice. Managing a fake smile, she said: "We'll get through this somehow, old boy."
   Morgan later opened a window because  she knew that she needed some air. It was New Years. People were having fun. Fun with each other. Fun with the people that they loved, liked and cared about. Morgan slumped her head in defeat. "Damn," she whispered. "I've got everything...yet, I have nothing."
   She could hear the people outside counting down the last seconds of 2999.
   As she got ready to shut the window, she heard a rumbling sound near the building. Her windows rattled as the sound got closer. She looked up to her amazement and saw a green spaceship tear over the building, its blue exhaust trailing behind it.
   "You son of a...that's a violation! You broke minimums!" Morgan shouted as she shook her fist. She raged, but the ship went by too fast to get any kind of a positive identification on it. She lifted up her wrist to make a call, but just as quickly dropped it. "Aw, piss on it," she said. "I'm too tired to care." She collapsed on her bed from exhaustion, still wearing her clothes.

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »

"Augustus - komm...mach schnell."

Only Morgan would train her Doberman to respond to commands in deutscher Sprache.

As she got ready to shut the window, she heard a rumbling sound near the building. Her windows rattled as the sound got closer. She looked up to her amazement and saw a green spaceship tear over the building, its blue exhaust trailing behind it.

After which it then crashed into the nearest billboard? :giggle:

I like how you portray Morgan responding as would any other eager bride left at the altar, her fondest hopes dashed by a belovèd fiancé destined to be the focus of her life and all her ample love of various kinds (made so by the combination of her artistic, eclectic father and prim, loyal mother), who gets cold feet at the last moment; presumably leaving no explanation or apology.  (Or am I reading too much into it and letting the fevered writer's imagination run wild?)

I'm thinking the backstory would show her redoubling the effort to cram all those emotions into her job, only letting loose when she finds an occasional "dirty boy" - until sunset approaches... ;) :aww:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »
Only Morgan would train her Doberman to respond to commands in deutscher Sprache.

I thought the interest in Dobermans would be natural, as living alone they would be of some protection as well as being a friend. I just couldn't see her with a fluffy kitty or a yap dog. And, like her father, she always names them after prominent Roman citizens.

I like how you portray Morgan responding as would any other eager bride left at the altar, her fondest hopes dashed by a belovèd fiancé destined to be the focus of her life and all her ample love of various kinds (made so by the combination of her artistic, eclectic father and prim, loyal mother), who gets cold feet at the last moment; presumably leaving no explanation or apology.  (Or am I reading too much into it and letting the fevered writer's imagination run wild?)

I'm thinking the backstory would show her redoubling the effort to cram all those emotions into her job, only letting loose when she finds an occasional "dirty boy" - until sunset approaches...

I think you've pretty much pegged it right; both points are in line with her desire to shun that perfect ideal Bureaucracy man and go after someone like Fry. And she makes the Bureaucracy and the dream of becoming Bureaucrat General the focus of all of her time and energy.

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
"You son of a...that's a violation! You broke minimums!" Morgan shouted as she shook her fist.

I guess even she thought the laser bolts shooting around the PE Ship were fireworks... :)

Why the NNYPD have AAA guns is also a worry.   :uhoh:

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »
I guess even she thought the laser bolts shooting around the PE Ship were fireworks...

That is such a fun scene to pull out and watch again.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »
I don't know if some of you have seen Zelma Flaherty, Morgan's long-suffering admin, but we meet her in the next scene. She drives Morgan crazy, but she'd be lost without Zelma. And she always calls Morgan "Miss P."

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 12:56:05 AM »
Wow! Neat artwork! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I can't wait to see more of the story.  :wannaeat: Please keep it up. :redstar: :redstar: :redstar: :redstar: :redstar:
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
...in this last installment of the story, we see our favorite bureaucrat finally arriving at that famous delivery company. What will she find here? Love? Romance? A hat full of yogurt? Heck, we all know what she found here. And there will be more Morgan to come as our Grade 19 grows older...

When Morgan reported for work one April morning in 3000, she was summoned back into Mr. Duffy's office. She was handed a piece of paperwork that gave her quite a shock.
   "What?" Mr. Duffy asked. "What? Is this your way of celebrating good news?"
   She looked up at him. "You're taking my field surveillance away from me?"
   He tried to maintain his smile. "Morgan, this is a good thing for you; your buddy Bernie Simard would kill for this. This is a promotion - a boost in pay comes with it. And, more vacation time."
   She looked up. "No more late night audits? And what in the world would I do with more vacation? I don't even know what a vacation is."
   Mr. Duffy held his hands up in a pleading gesture. "Morgan...this is a promotion - you're being rewarded for your good work. You're not being punished. It's time to leave the dog work to the younger bureaucrats coming in. And here's the best part - I'm yanking you out of that stupid cubicle and you're getting the corner office." He flashed a toothy grin.
   Morgan came to her feet. "I'm losing my cubicle?"
   "Loosing? Do you realize that Randall and those other dorks would sell their soul to the devil for that corner office? You'll get to put some of your father's things up in there, like that tiger sculpture he got you from Indonesia."
   Morgan got choked up. "Oh, God...oh God...this is such a change..."
   "Morgan, your father would be so proud of you. You've worked hard, and with hard work comes rewards. You've made it, girly-girl! You've moved up in the world." Mr. Duffy tapped his desk intercom. "Could you please have Miss Flaherty come in?"
   A young woman with thick glasses and her hair pulled back in a pony tail came in.
   "Morgan, this is Zelma Flaherty. She's going to be your new admin."
   "I get an admin? I never asked for one..."
   "How do you do, Miss Proctor - I've heard so much about you." She shook Morgan's hand, but couldn't understand the less-than-friendly reception. "Uh, did I do something wrong?"
   Mr. Duffy whispered with his hand over his mouth. "She has to get to know you, like a dog sniffing someone's hand; it's best just to play along, so you won't get bitten so badly."
   Morgan studied her, much like a naturalist would study a species of snail on the Galapagos Islands. "You are friendly and gregarious, but not afraid of hard work. You're young, but old enough to have some decent work experience in behind you. You have an accent...a northern one. You're not from deep in Wisconsin, and you're definitely not from Minnesota. And you don't have any of that Indiana twang either, so that narrows it down to the North Coast of Chicago."
   Zelma's large eyeballs moved around in her eyeglasses. "Chicago! I'm from Mt. Prospect, north of the city. How did you hear that? You're really good at that."
   She squinted her eyes. "You're kidding, aren't you? Say 'bag.'"
   "Beg."
   "See? It's the 'Chicago A.' And you've got it bad."
   "You sure are smart, Miss P."
   "You're already calling me Miss P? I hardly know you, young woman." Morgan looked over at Mr. Duffy, and he nodded in approval. "Okay, Zelma, I'm going to need you to help me move some things out of my cubicle. Chop, chop. You'll find that I have only two speeds, fast and faster. And I don't tolerate slackers, so let's get cracking. On the bounce."
   On her way out, Zelma whispered to a smiling Mr. Duffy. "She likes me, I can tell."
   Morgan called back to her wayward admin. "Miss Flaherty, any time this year."   
   Mr. Duffy couldn't help but peek out of his office at the two.
   As they worked, Morgan attempted genuine conversation. "Miss Flaherty, there was a really great Martian restaurant in Waukegan...is it still there?"
   "Oh, yes Miss P - my family still goes there. They serve a really good canal eel."
   After moving a few things, she saw Zelma carrying the black tiger sculpture from Indonesia.
   "Is this what I think it is, Miss P? I've heard people talk about it."
   "Yep. It was a joke between my father and I. I was called 'The Tiger Woman.'" She held the tiger in her hands with pride. "Leo Wong's wife herself gave me that nickname, I'll have you know; in Chinese, and with fangs full-out. I was still a teenager at the time."
   "Oh, and speaking of Leo Wong, you'll be seeing his daughter today."
   "Amy? I will? I haven't seen her in years."
   "Your first inspection of the day is going to be at the Planet Express Delivery Service."
   "That place? Amy ended up there? That's like the elephant graveyard where the elephants go to die. Let me see the paperwork on that pit." Morgan giggled as she bit her knuckle.
   "What's so funny, Miss P?"
   "Oh, this is rich. I know this bureaucrat, this Hermes Conrad. He's the clown that did the limbo for my friends and I back in training school. And he ended up there. Figures."
   Zelma quickly produced a pneumatic message cylinder. "Should I send him the standard message telling him that a message is on its way?"
   "Please."

The End

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 02:18:36 AM »
I love the way this story fills out the canon. Kudos! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
C. S. Lewis

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2017, 03:26:04 AM »

...You'll find that I have only two speeds, fast and faster. And I don't tolerate slackers, so let's get cracking. On the bounce."

Nice to see a bit of inspiration from Saint Heinlein.

Exceptional story, Gulliver, and it so neatly fits into canon!  Wish I had a small fraction of your talent.