Author Topic: "Morgan the BG"  (Read 879 times)

Offline Flounder

• Chief Engineer of the Planet Express Ship
  • Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Ad astra! (To the stars!)
Re: "Morgan the BG"
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
Jasmeel Sevanar?  She must come from the South Asian side of Amphibios 9.

Will Rob have the chance to deal roughly with the psionic assassin?  It'll be fun to find out. >:D
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
Jasmeel Sevanar?  She must come from the South Asian side of Amphibios 9.

You know, if I can get my brain running, a story about Kif's planet is long overdue. And they gave us so much background on the show.

Will Rob have the chance to deal roughly with the psionic assassin?  It'll be fun to find out. >:D

Yeah, I can't let that cat out of the bag yet. I do think you guys will find the conference interesting to say the least.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »
You know, if I can get my brain running, a story about Kif's planet is long overdue.

Pfft...your brain is running at Ludicrous Speed compared to mine.

A story about Amphibios 9?  Now THAT has some (and by "some," I mean "a butt-ton of") comic possibility. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »
A story about Amphibios 9?  Now THAT has some (and by "some," I mean "a butt-ton of") comic possibility. :)

I've always loved that Great Mother character, who was also the Grand Lunch Lady.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
...Morgan finds that she has a friend she can let her hair down with, and Leela and her friends get some bad news...

Upon Morgan’s arrival in St. Petersburg, her Bureaucracy counterpart Andrei Fedosov gave her a tour of the city. In the evening, she was treated to a symphony concert; the orchestra played Shostakovich’s 10th symphony, which she truly loved from her childhood. Wherever she went, her two human guardians and Rob were with her. For the first time in many days, she was able to lose herself in the music – she didn’t have to think about psionics, or FLAB terrorists. At the end of the performance, the orchestra was given a standing ovation.
   They arrived late back to the hotel. Rob the android and Spencer took up a post outside of Morgan’s room, and Jasmeel briefly went in to chat with Morgan.
   “If all is alright, ma’am, I’ll join the others outside.”
   “No…don’t rush off. Stay with me a bit – there’s some champagne here.”
   “You’re quite sure…”
   “Please. This job gets lonely. There’s Rob, but he’s only good for so much conversation.”
   Jasmeel sat on the couch in the anteroom of the suite, and allowed Morgan to pour her a glass of champagne. “If you’ll allow me to speak freely, I could sense how the music soothed you.”
   Morgan smiled. “I’ve loved those composers since I was a little girl; Shostakovich, Popov, Prokofiev. We had quite a chamber orchestra in Syracuse in those days, but this is really something.”
   Jasmeel sipped her drink. “It was more than just enjoyment; you’ve been in a great deal of pain lately. The symphony soothed this for just a brief moment.”
   Morgan gazed out across the room, lost in thought. “You see much that is hidden. Shostakovich actually had the brass to stand up to Stalin, at the risk of his life; he died at an old age, having stood up for what he believed in.”
   “May I have a look inside your mind? Maybe I can help…”
   “Miss Jasmeel, absolutely not. I know something that only a few people know; if you peek in there and find it out, it could cost you your life. You’re a nice young woman, and I don’t want to see you hurt. Does that make sense?”
   She finished her glass. “Can I at least give you a sugar cube?”
   “A what? You psionics and your buzzwords. What’s a sugar cube...I forget.”
   Jasmeel smiled. Think of it as a sedative without taking a pill. You’ll have the best night sleep you’ve had in months.”
   “Oh, I guess it couldn’t hurt. You promise not to look around in there…”
   “I promise.” Jasmeel stood behind her, and gently placed her three-digit hand on Morgan’s forehead. Morgan felt her whole body relax, as if she’d been placed  into a nice hot bath. And Jasmeel was right – she had the best night sleep that she’d had in a long time.

At the Planet Express headquarters, a Neptunian mechanic by the name of Tass Mandak showed the cylindrical part to Leela. "Ma'am, as you can plainly see, this is shot. You need to replace it.
   She pointed to her eye. "This does work, you know. But it's so darned expensive."
   "This ship doesn't fly without a new one - I wouldn't chance it."
   "But the cost...I've got to call the old man before I give you a yes. Can't we buy a re-conditioned one?"
   "Where is Farnsworth, anyway? I haven't seen him around much..."
   "Hospital."  The image of Cubert appeared on the screen of her wrist-thingee. "Cubert - is the Old Man still there? I've got to run something by him double-plus quick. All I need to do is to show him a holo image."
   Cubert just stood there for a second. "Uh, Leela...you need to come down here with me."
   "Cubert, I've got my hands full with this hunk-of-junk ship. I only need to ask him one question."
   Again an awkward pause. "Leela - you need to come down here."
   "Cubert...I've never seen you like this in all these years; I'll be there as quick as I can." Leela looked around for Amy. "Amy? Bring your air-car around - we need to go to the hospital. And round up Fry; Bender can watch the kids."
   "But Leela...what about the part?"
   "Go ahead and order it, Tass. Ship's gotta fly." Leela bit her finger; in a terrible way, she was afraid that she might now be in charge of Planet Express.

BTW, here is the symphony Morgan heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HzLh6-hb8&t=2001s The first movement kind of fits in with what's here...

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 02:07:33 AM »
...the orchestra played Shostakovich’s 10th symphony, which she truly loved from her childhood.

You're right, that first movement does sound like this story put to music.  Thanks for sharing that recording by Melodiya!

At the Planet Express headquarters, a Neptunian mechanic by the name of Tass Mandak showed the cylindrical part to Leela. "Ma'am, as you can plainly see, this is shot. You need to replace it..."

It's obviously the control rod for the porpoise-hork-modulated graviton and gravioli reactor.  Those things take a beating. :giggle:

Don't think Leela is going to get a reply from the Professor...Staying tuned.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
It's obviously the control rod for the porpoise-hork-modulated graviton and gravioli reactor.  Those things take a beating. :giggle:

With phlobotinum leaks, no less. Old Tass here is a character I've been wanting to introduce for a while - he's their resident grease monkey. Just think Elzar with a mechanic jump suit and a hat.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 11:49:04 PM »
...Morgan's life is saved by an Amphibiosan...and an android...

The Bureaucracy summit was held on a beautiful day; bureaucratic leaders from all over Europe, Africa and the Americas were there for speeches, handshaking and a grand lunch. Morgan had briefly seen Palace Square before, but she'd never seen the Winter Palace; in short, the view was breathtaking.
   John Groves was enjoying an electronic cigarette. "Well, what do you think?"
   "John, do we really need all this security? This is little more than an excuse for a bunch of old bureaucrat fuddy-duddies to enjoy a free lunch and lie to each other. I'd rather just sneak out and enjoy the Winter Palace here."
   "Morgan, you know that when we get a credible threat that we have to be ready for it."
   "Yes, but this? Two psionics? I've got Rob here."
   "Look around the square. All those men and women in suits. The Russian Republic has their best security teams here; they can find anything from a gun to a pair of tweezers, but not a one of them can spot a lone psionic - Jasmeel can."
   "What can a psionic do, anyway?"
   Groves shot Morgan a concerned look. "Morgan, you haven't seen the army videos I've had to watch - they used real people in those videos, not store dummies."
   Morgan grumbled. "I have seen what you people can do with nukes..."
   "Morgan..."
   She put up her hand. "I know, I know..."
   The Bureaucratic president of Lower Volta came over to greet Morgan; she warmly shook his hand and asked him how his family was. She then rejoined the conversation with Groves.
   "Why in God's name would they target me anyway?"
   "You know why..."
   The color briefly drained from Morgan's face. "Oh god - the bomb. Retaliation?"   
   "We have it on good authority."
   Morgan's face then went red with anger. "John, that damned nuke of yours is going to haunt me for the rest of my days. You and I both know that whole thing could've been handled differently..."
   "Morgan - the guys upstairs..."
   "I know - they can kill innocent tourists and sleep like a baby at night; I can't. I should have just come clean and taken responsibility for the whole mess. I would have been ruined, but maybe, just maybe I'd still have a soul left."
   Groves grumbled. "Is this what this is about, your soul?"
   Morgan Proctor then heard the familiar voice of Jasmeel echo in her head. "Miss Proctor, can you hear me?"
   She looked around and spotted her, and answered back with her thoughts. "You can call me Morgan - I'm not some sort of countess."
   "Miss...Morgan, they're here - I've felt them. Spencer and I will do our best to protect you. Be ready to move at a moment's notice - and  tell Rob. Oh, and call me Jazz."
   "You've got a deal, Jazz."
   Groves looked concerned as he looked into Morgan's eyes. "She's talking to you, isn't she?"
   Morgan answered him. "She is...and she's worried as hell. They've found something."
   Jazz called to her again. "Morgan, I can feel this person's rage throbbing in my head..."

As Leela, Amy and Fry entered the hospital, they were met by Cubert and an amalgamated priest. Leela's eye got large. "Oh, God - this isn't going to be good news, is it? Why is this priest here?"
   Cubert looked sad. "I couldn't tell you guys over the wrist-thingee...it all happened so suddenly..."
   The priest intervened. "Maybe it would be best if we spoke over here in the conference room..."
   Leela and the others were given the details on how Professor Farnsworth passed away.

Morgan Proctor gave what she felt was the most boring speech of her life, and her audience applauded with enthusiasm. She started off with that dreadful joke about the bureaucrat and the Martian farmer's daughter, which still managed somehow to generate liberal laughter. All through the speech, Morgan nervously scanned the around the square; how could they choose such a huge place for this goat and pony show, anyway?
   As Morgan began her question and answer session, Jasmeel finally spotted something out of place; security people call it a JDLR, or something that "just doesn't look right." She spotted several steak knives floating a few inches above the woman's buffet table. Morgan heard the excited shouts of Spencer in her head.
   "Jazz - food service woman!"
   "I see her...Morgan, tell Rob."

Morgan quickly turned to her android. "Rob - food service."
   Rob focused in on the woman and leaned out in front of Morgan. A set of steak knives took off from the woman's buffet table like launched missiles and began flying toward the podium where Morgan spoke. As they left the table, they gained speed until they became lethal projectiles. Rob shoved Morgan down and out of the way, and positioned himself in the path of the knives. The android took a direct hit in his pastiglass face plate, and fell to the ground. Screams and shouts from the crown ensued.
   Before the young assassin could get more projectiles airborne, Spencer sent a table flying her way. By this time the Russian security agents tackled the woman, and quickly got her into cuffs. Morgan was swiftly pulled into the building by the Bureaucracy security team.
   Groves checked on Morgan. "You okay, kiddo?"
   "I'm fine; scared to death, but fine. What's going on with Rob?"
   "Rob? The android?"
   "That big lug saved my life. What's going on with him?"
   "He was damaged pretty badly, but we're all alright. We've got some cuts and things, but we're all just fine."
   Morgan heard that familiar voice inside her head. "Miss...I mean, Morgan - are you safe?"
   "I'm doing fine, Jazz. Both of you?"
   "We're both fine."
   "You two kids did well out there today - thanks."

Groves continued. "The press wants to have some sort of interview -  we need to let them know you're unharmed."
   "Is Linda Schoonhoven here? I'll give her a quick interview, and then I want to be taken back to my hotel so I can collapse from all of this."
   "I can make that happen. Anything else?"
   "I want to see Rob."

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 12:31:39 AM »
Leela and the others were given the details on how Professor Farnsworth passed away.

Laughing maniacally and ranting about doomsday devices, I hope.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »
Laughing maniacally and ranting about doomsday devices, I hope.

They say that madness ran in his family...and why? because he dared to dream of his own race of atomic monsters, atomic supermen with octagonal shaped bodies that suck blood...the eulogy to his service would have been interesting...

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
...Leela has to take over a big responsibility, and Morgan watches on as they try to repair her buddy Rob...

It was early the next morning when the Planet Express crew got back to the old red brick building. It was silent, and the rain pounding down outside could be heard on the windows. An occasional rumble of thunder broke the quiet, and rattled everyone's thoughts. Hermes was waiting for them when they got in, running a hand through his graying hair. He put a set of keys in Leela's hand.
   "You know what dees are; you are now in charge of da whole enchilada. His office is now your office." He then pulled out a small black case and handed it to Fry. "This is his first Fields Medal; being that you are da only living relative, he would have wanted you to have it. I've got an attorney coming over at 1:00 to go over the will wid you guys, but you pretty much know what he wanted to have happen on dis day."
   Leela looked down at the keys in her hand. "I just never thought this day would come so soon."

As per Morgan's orders, some mechanics brought in Rob and laid him out on the floor. Morgan bent down and rubbed his plastiglass face with her fingers. "You poor lug..."
   The damaged android came to life, his voice distorted in an electronic manner. "Mum - everyone safe?"
   "Everyone's safe."
   "Did I do well?"
   "Sheffield Rob, you did very well. Your programmers would have been very proud."
   "Will I be sent back home to the UK for a refit?"
   "Yes, sweetie, you'll be sent back to the Sceptred Isle before you know it."
   "It's been a pleasure serving you, mum."
   "You just lie back and let this man work on you."
   The one mechanic looked at Morgan. "I'm going to have to dismantle him - we can't fix his memory, but we can still use his body."
   Morgan nodded her approval. The mechanic shut him off and began to work on him. No longer the big gentleman that used to dote over her, he was now little more than just a car that a mechanic had to work on. The man opened his faceplate, and pulled out the android's main motherboard.
   "You want this? It can't be used for anything anymore, but it would be a nice keepsake."
   Morgan accepted it. "Thank you."

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:43:20 PM by Gulliver63 »

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »
He then pulled out a small black case and handed it to Fry. "This is his Fields Medal

*Pedantic alert*   Didn't the Professor have two?

The one mechanic looked at Morgan. "I'm going to have to dismantle him - we can't fix his memory, but we can still use his body."

Oh. I thought Rob would be back with Morgan after a quick restore and head replacement.  Sad scenes all around. :(

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
*Pedantic alert*   Didn't the Professor have two?

Yeah, I remember there being two, and that it was the target of talking smack on Billion Backs. I could put his first or something like that...in fact, I think I will.

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »
Before the young assassin could get more projectiles airborne, Spencer sent a table flying her way. By this time the Russian security agents tackled the woman, and quickly got her into cuffs. Morgan was swiftly pulled into the building by the Bureaucracy security team.

Good thing the Russians had the latest style of handcuffs, complete with built-in psionic shield. :eek:

"Did I do well?"
   "Sheffield Rob, you did very well. Your programmers would have been very proud."
   "Will I be sent back home to the UK for a refit?"
   "Yes, sweetie, you'll be sent back to the Sceptred Isle before you know it."

Greensleeves, Canterbury Tales, and Rule Britannia!  Homeward bound, Rob is.  If only he'd been backed up...

Even though it was done for a sad occasion, just like Morgan, Leela and Amy look pretty good when you doll them up, too.  The streak of gray in Leela's hair is just the right distinguishing accent.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Even though it was done for a sad occasion, just like Morgan, Leela and Amy look pretty good when you doll them up, too.  The streak of gray in Leela's hair is just the right distinguishing accent.

The years are settling in, and parenthood takes its toll. And Cubert is twenty-something in this piece.