Author Topic: Polly-tick-nicks  (Read 126 times)

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
Polly-tick-nicks
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »
Well, I threatened to do it, so I might as well create it. Now, I realise that a thread about politics might get heated, and I'm sure the mods will step in if it does, so I would like to ask posters to please remain civil - or the thread may not remain.

Now, I believe Beilzebot mentioned something about the concept of Universal Basic Income...

Offline Beilzebot

• Ascended Trash Dragon
  • MomCorp Stockholder
Re: Polly-tick-nicks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
I'm interested in the use of UBI, my reasoning comes from the fact that much of the post-war economic nostalgia Americans like to feel is absolutely unattainable, the conditions can't be recreated. Reagan-era and continuing corporatism policies destroyed unionization powers (largely mirroring Thatchers impact in the UK) extended under H. Bush, Clinton, W. Bush, even Obama haven't addressed the main problems that are union-crippling lobbyists and legislation coupled with a shift towards a corporate and stock-market centered economy have left Americans behind for the last 40 years. Couple that with increased costs of housing, education, and basic medical care I'm not shocked people are angry but still can't figure out it's the culture of greed and gluttony in corporate America that's figuratively and literally poisoned America. A booming stockmarket doesn't mean anything if people aren't seeing the returns and elites control the cash flow, betting on businesses to do what's right is laughable, the culture of business is to cut costs and labor wherever possible and with increased transition to automation for manufacturing, service industry, and pretty much every sector of labor it's necessary to have a discussion on Universal Basic Income and if it's necessary if we're to continue on the trend we've been on. Obviously that's a broad-brush portrait of corporations, companies, institutes, whathaveyou, I'm griping about the overall problems that plague the systems.

TL;DR corporate greed and automation are the dystopian satires and scifi fantasies written about

And to follow up no I'm not envious of peoples success, my family is well off and I play the stock market
signatures make me feel like it's 2006 again

Offline Beilzebot

• Ascended Trash Dragon
  • MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Is that controversial enough to start a thread? lol

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »
Once they have the money, they don't want to let it go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Offline genericEric

• Science Diletante
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Human Friend
Increase the Flash Gordon Soundtrack and put more sciencey stuff around.

Offline MTC29

• Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:51 AM »
Hillary Clinton almost ran for President on a policy backed by Universal Basic Income.

I don't know what is more difficult to look at on a full stomach; the big ugly spider in Guliver63's most recent story (http://www.futurama-madhouse.net/forum/index.php?topic=5430.0), or that woman's face.  :pukey:
Nothing can be made idiot proof because idiots are far too clever.

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:19:41 AM »
Not being from the US, I honestly don't understand all the Hillary hatred...  :confused:

Offline Beilzebot

• Ascended Trash Dragon
  • MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »
Not being from the US, I honestly don't understand all the Hillary hatred...  :confused:
When you have to justify backing a chronic liar and outright fraud with a roadkill groundhog for a toupee I suppose one gets a little testy,

I didn't like her as a dynastic-extension of sorts given a 3rd bush and 2nd clinton was running but good lord like I can even pretend like she would've been worse than the guy who claimed his predecessor was a Kenyan-born Islamic Extremist who faked his birth certificate and college degree (a Harvard constitutional scholar).

I was thinking of which outlandish, incredulous thing to use as an example of Donnie's incompetence but you've all been here since January, y'all can pick your favorite. (Staring directly into the eclipse was a runner up).

Offline genericEric

• Science Diletante
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Human Friend
Increase the Flash Gordon Soundtrack and put more sciencey stuff around.