Author Topic: The Last Turanga: Fugitive and a Vagabond  (Read 215 times)

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
Re: The Last Turanga: Fugitive and a Vagabond
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
...Leela finds that she has friends, old and young, that she can depend on.

Turanga Leela met up with her elder helper Master Yoss in front of the manor house as he took the Earth college students around the property. She spoke to him in the cyclops tongue, to conceal her conversation from the students. “Master Yoss, could I speak with you a minute…
   “Yes child, what is it?”
   “Sitar, could you do me a big favor? I know it’s a lot to ask on such short notice…”
   “What do you need?”
   “Is there any way that you could get these students up to the agricultural research station up north? Like today?”
   The older cyclops looked puzzled. “Well...you weren’t going to take them up there for another couple of days…”
   “Maybe we could get an air-bus in here…”
   “Oh, bother with the air-bus...I’ll hitch the wagon to a couple of veng - they’ll get a kick out of it. It’s no problem.” Yoss looked concerned as he glanced over Leela’s right shoulder. “But what of you? You’ve drawn a weapon.”
   “Let’s just say that I’ve got ‘terannos’ that I need to address.” The cyclops word for ‘troubles’ caught his attention, as she put emphasis on it.
   Master Yoss got the smile of a wise old sage on his face. “I used to play-fight with your brothers, and I knew your father. I’ll get the wagon ready, and those students will be kept safe. Take care of your terannos and we’ll take care of things on this end.”

Sangero of House Marakaho found Leela near the Stone Temple in front of a statue of a cyclops hero of long ago. He and his younger brother Hosalot spoke with her. She was on the first exterior level of the ancient stone temple where the statues were...all of them were there, all the brave, strong cyclops heroes of the past.
   “Mistress Leela, what are you doing here?”
   Without facing them, she answered. “I’m praying to the saints.”
   “Oh, so this is just a daily meditation…”
   “And a woman can’t come to the Stone Temple and meditate? And be left in peace to do it?”
   “Leela, we ran across Master Yoss and chatted with him. We also noticed that you are armed everywhere you go. You had the Earth students sent away from here - for safety reasons, I’m assuming. And we both know that you don’t do anything without a reason...”
   “Sangero...this is none of your business.”
   “Leela, we are not your family, but we may be the closest thing to brothers you have here. We are concerned about your well-being.”
   Leela turned and pointed at the young Hosalot - she chuckled for the first time in days. “He’s my brother?”
   “Well, you know what I mean.”
   Hosalot took offence. “Hey...I could be her brother...a younger brother…”
   After another brief chuckle, she opened up to the two cyclops warriors. Sangero was right - they were about the closest thing to family that she knew there...and she could trust them with her life.
Sangero was puzzled. “Why would company people be after you now?”
“I think I know who this is - she thinks I killed her father. In all truth, he got himself killed.”
   Hosalot was angered. “Earthers? After you? I will cut them to pieces.”
   Leela scolded him like a big sister would. “You will do no such thing. If and when they come, whey will be well armed. They’ll bring plasma bolters and maser weapons. I don’t want to see you hurt. This is my problem and not yours, Baby Brother.”
   Sangero made a slight grin. “I have friends with bolters and crossbows…just a few men with weapons…”
   “No - I don’t want this turning into a war. I’d like to resolve this peacefully if I can.”
   Sangero then answered as any big brother would. “But we won’t let you stand out in the cold rain alone, little sister - let us at least help.”
   Leela thought about it as she bit her knuckle. “Can you guard my house? They will go there first - I won’t be there.”
   Sangero put a hand on Leela’s shoulder. “If you wish, we can be a welcoming committee for your Earth friends. Let’s form some sort of plan. We’ll make their first visit to Cyclon a memorable one.”
   “Okay brothers, you’ve talked me into it. I’ll meet up with you later on in town. Meanwhile, I’ve got another old friend to speak with.”
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
I've been wanting to draw some of the people in the story...here's what Dakota Winchester looks like. Note ankle holster on the right boot.

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Flounder

• Chief Engineer of the Planet Express Ship
  • Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Ad astra! (To the stars!)
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »
"...we both know that you don’t do anything without a reason...”

Ain't that the truth!  Fine episode, Gulliver. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
Ain't that the truth!  Fine episode, Gulliver.

Thanks! I'm glad I brought those two cyclopes back from my previous stories.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »
...The bounty hunters land on Leela's planet, and learn a little more about their cyclops target.

Ona, Leela’s faithful veng beast, stirred a little as the small freighter touched down in the plateau lands not far from her manor house. Leela patted the animal on her neck. “Easy girl, easy. It’ll be alright.” She then peered through a small digital monocular. “Sweet zombie Jesus, this must be amateur night.”
   Leela turned her veng around, and went off for the relative safety the village of Tazan’kaa. Once there, she would meet up with her friends.

As Nambu shut the engines off, the gyros could still be heard winding down in the background. She tapped two switches on her overhead panel. “The security protocol is on.”
   A worried McGurk addressed his friend. “Who’s to say that the little devils won’t try and sneak on board?”
   “This is a whole new system, Mr. McGurk. It will recognize us, but any cyclops trying to board the ship is likely to be sliced to pieces.” He looked unconvinced. She pointed to the middle of her forehead. "It's that cyclops skull - the scanners will detect it immediately."
            "Oh, you are an evil, wicked woman - that's why I like you."
   She returned a grin.
They both left the tiny pilothouse and joined the others in the galley. Bouchard already had a 3D holo map up of where they were in relation to the village, and he was giving directions to Dakota. “It’s only about 3.5 kilometers away from the ship,” he told her.
   Big framed McGurk roughly dropped into his chair, and asked the big prize-money question: “So how do we find this evil sorceress?”
   Bouchard brought up another holo image, this one of Leela in her tribal outfit. In a haunting way she turned to the left side, and then all the way around to the front again. Figures and factoids flashed in the air next to her saying things like,  “Oval-shaped pupil aids in peripheral vision...pupil also has limited night vision capability...blood is blue when it first exits the body, but then turns red in an oxygenated atmosphere…strength and running endurance are typically superior to that of an average human being…”
   “I’ve bloody well seen this already; yeah, she’s one of them single-eyed creatures. The planet is full of them. How in the devil are we supposed to find her?”
   Dakota answered that one. “Her celebrity status won’t help her hide very well. I’ve been reading up on her. She is actually a priestess here, but she’s revered as some sort of magic woman by some of the locals. It fits in with the crazy stories we’ve heard.”
   Nambu added to Dakota’s commentary. “It also explains the chubby Neptunian who was afraid of us being turned into frogs by this Leela.”
   An angry McGurk pressed further. “And why, exactly, should I put my arse on the line for this fell beast? If she’s the evil demon we’re all hearing about…”
   For the first time the Irishman saw an icy stare come from his captain. It was obvious that to him this was a job, but to her it was personal. “If it’s the money you’re concerned about, I  can pay you well - being tied in with Desoxo like I am, I’m liquid. Or I can just cut you your share right now and you can stay on the ship. Either way, it doesn’t make much difference to me.”
   The Japanese girl grinned and shook her head. “Did that size 13 shoe taste good in your mouth?”
   “Well, you know what I’m sayin’...”
   “Mr. Bouchard,” Dakota said, “play that interview with Linda Schoonhoven again.”
   Complying, he tapped a button and another holo image came up. The Leela being interviewed was slightly younger, and wore Earth-style clothing. Her purple hair was done up into a big ponytail in back, and she was on a talk show with “Fishy Joe” Gilman and another male guest with long hair. Leela tried her best to get her two cents in, but it wasn’t easy. “Look, I’m not saying eating meat is wrong…”
   Dakota waved her hand. “Not this...skip ahead to that other interview we watched.”
   The Leela that appeared next wasn’t so much older looking, but hardened by what she had gone through. She proudly wore her service dog tags as she spoke with the same interviewer. Linda hit her with some tough questions, which didn’t phase her.
   “Leela, because of your stance with the Desoxo Corporation, there are some that would label you a terrorist.”
   She thought about her answer, but only for a second. “If a terrorist is someone who protects their people and family, then I guess they can use that label if they wish. These monsters nearly killed my husband and friends. I don’t care how much power they wield, I intend to fight them with everything that I have.”
   With a hand signal, Dakota interrupted the interview. “I’ve heard about enough. These ‘monsters’ this woman talks about are the company men and women my late father devoted his life to. And her activities brought my father’s life to an end. And no one has brought this person to justice.”
   “She’s a true believer,” Nambu noted, “not just a crazy crackpot.”
   McGurk got up from his chair. “Naw, she’s just a one-eyed freak. Ugly as a horse’s arse. And a job is a job, so I might as well get it done.”

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
“Sweet zombie Jesus, this must be amateur night.”

They land where they can be spotted and then hold a final briefing? Leela's right.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 11:55:49 PM »
They land where they can be spotted and then hold a final briefing? Leela's right.

And they're practically in her back yard. The chunky Neptunian was right - pick another criminal.