Author Topic: The Last Turanga: Fugitive and a Vagabond  (Read 883 times)

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
Re: The Last Turanga: Fugitive and a Vagabond
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
I think Nambu may be in for a come-uppance.

We are going to find out just how much come-uppance she's going to get...

Dakota reached out to her with her voice. “Akiko - for the love of Christ, don’t do this. She let me live - maybe we can bargain with her.”
Nambu held the tip of her sword a few inches above the ground as she got into position. “I was sent by my employer to carry out a mission - I will fulfill my duties. And I will collect your head - in the Samurai way.”
“You are a real Samurai, aren’t you? Sister, when I get this thing rolling, there’s no way of bringing it back.” She pulled out her weapon and gently tapped the end of Nambu’s sword with her spear tip. “Ta barut - for honor.”
Without taking her eyes off of her, the Japanese girl tipped her head in acknowledgement.
As the two began to face off for combat, Hosalot again tried to join in the fight, but Sangero grabbed his arm. “For honor, Little Brother. It has to play out this way.”
As Leela quickly twirled the sharan spear, she muttered the cyclops battle chant over and over: Hata, barut, oncha. Hata, barut, oncha. “Family, honor, code.”
When Nambu came in for her first strike, Leela was ready for it. The spear made a loud noise as metal struck metal. As she went on by and re-grouped, Leela was surprised at how fast and skilled this young woman was - she wasn’t kidding when she bragged about being a samurai. Conversely, Nambu was amazed at how lightning quick Leela was with her weapon - she wasn’t aware that Leela had received similar training as her Japanese combat moves, but she did realize that this was a dangerous opponent.
Leela’s original intent was to wear down this young girl and give her a quick tap on the skull, but this strategy came to a quick end as the blade of the katana came down along her arm - Leela was lucky that it was a glancing blow, but she was bleeding. Her upper tunic sleeve drooped down like a severed appendage. Just as fast, Nambu received a slice on her shoulder, which drew blood as well. Bouchard’s eyes got large - Leela’s blood was blue when it first left the wound, and then turned into a bright crimson red.
Leela called out to her. “Young one - you have fought well. Let’s end this…”
With anger Nambu replied, “I’ll end this! You’re not slipping away like this!” Nambu then came in with a slashing attack, her sword swinging above both shoulders..
Leela had never expected the melee to go on this long, and she didn’t want it to end up costing a life, but she had to fight with everything she’d been trained. This was no amatuer. She didn’t find that opportunity to pop her in the head with the weight; she had to go on the offensive. She timed the swings of the sword in her mind, and prepared to strike.
When her counterattack was finished, she was painfully aware that her sharan spear tip had penetrated flesh and bone. The young Japanese warrior fell on her back as Leela retracted her weapon. She looked down at her opponent with horror; her spear had gone in just below her heart, and blood was flowing like a river from the wound.
Leela looked down sadly at the young woman. A tear ran down her cheek. “By the gods...I never wanted it to end like this. I’ve never taken a life...”
The young woman looked up with terror in her eyes at the cyclops. “You...you fought honorably.”
McGurk walked up, and Leela backed away. As he knelt down in front of his friend, she struggled for her last gasps of air. He then bowed in front of her. “Did I do that right, Missy?”
She coughed, as a small stream of blood trickled from her mouth. “Not bad...for a gaijin.” Nambu’s eyes then glazed over, and she went silent. McGurk gently closed her eyes with his fingertips.
“Goodnight, Little One.”
McGurk then got up, and looked at Leela with rage in his eyes. “I loved her you wicked, evil beast!”
Leela again recounted her offer without looking at their eyes. “Take your dead off the field of battle and leave; we will not follow.”
“What, a proclamation coming from the witch woman?”
“It’s the best offer going...I suggest you take it.”
“You killed my friend, you evil wench…”
“Your friend was a trained samurai, and she died with honor. She lived her whole life for this moment. You were the ones who came here to kill me - and I’m not ready to go just yet. Even if you slaughter me, my friends will never let you leave here alive. Take the offer and go.”
An angry McGurk picked up the katana sword, and held it menacingly. “I’m gonna cut out your freakish eye, you evil harpy!”
Bouchard then called out. “Timothy...let’s just gather Nambu up and go…”
“You - shut yer hole!”
Leela unsheathed her sharan. “She at least was a trained warrior; you don’t even know how to use that thing. Just leave, and we’ll call it even.” She looked at Dakota. “You’d better talk some sense into your boy here…”
Dakota spoke. “Timothy...will you just listen to the woman?”
“You sent me in here looking for this...this mutated freak. I’m takin’ her back in a duffel bag! A job’s a job - and I always finish a job!”
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
 :uhoh: It doesn't look like this is over. :eek: Very well done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:10 PM »
It doesn't look like this is over. :eek: Very well done.

Thanks! I loved dropping the hint that the Irishman and Nambu might have had something going.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline Ramon 51

• Mad Professor
  • Senior Moderator
  • Osiris 4 Priest
  • Good News Everyone!
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
SILENCE! I concur! :crylol:
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
C. S. Lewis

Offline Flounder

• Chief Engineer of the Planet Express Ship
  • Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Ad astra! (To the stars!)
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:37 AM »
"Not bad...for a gaijin."

You could say the same about Leela.

Fine episode, Gulliver!  Leela kickin' shiny metal is always good to read.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
"Not bad...for a gaijin."

After the way she fought, Nambu might consider Leela as more than just a gaijin...  :)

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »
...Nambu might consider Leela as more than just a gaijin...  :)

Perhaps so.  But I've spent enough time in Japan to know that no matter how deeply we foreigners immerse ourselves in the culture and ways of Dai Nippon, we will always be gaijin.

Think I once told you a funny story from years ago about my co-workers acting like gaijin, in Nagoya. :giggle:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
Perhaps so.  But I've spent enough time in Japan to know that no matter how deeply we foreigners immerse ourselves in the culture and ways of Dai Nippon, we will always be gaijin.

Think I once told you a funny story from years ago about my co-workers acting like gaijin, in Nagoya.

I think you shared that with me. I've got some funny stories from a friend I had from Shanghai.

Man, I wish I could travel like that...the closest I've been to the Far East is chatting it up with the good folks in the Japan store at Epcot, who endured me trying to learn and use their language. They were gracious, and even taught me a few things.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
...next the tough Irishman decides to have a go at the cyclops...

With a lightning quick twirl of the sharan that went from hand to hand, Leela spoke the words that made it official - “Ta barut - for honor.”
McGurk came in with a lumbering attack with the sword, and Leela struck him on the side of his jaw with the weighted end of her sharan. He touched his jaw in pain.
“You’re out of your league, Danny Boy - stop this now!”
Leela then had to move quickly as the blade came her way; even though he was clumsy, he was able to put some power behind his swings. She then parried one of his swings with the sharan, and was able to throw him off balance. He was an opponent with a lot of strength and endurance. In this brief period of time Leela was able to make a slicing cut across the Irishman’s shirt. He briefly stopped, noticing that he was bleeding, but then continued the melee.
The two cyclops brothers whispered to one another. “She fights with the skill of a true cyclops warrior,” Hosalot noted. “It’s as if she never left and went to Earth.”
“It’s that Turanga blood - she fights like her father and brothers.” He looked at him with a confident smile. “She’s Hurkon’s baby girl - he would have been proud to see her fight like this...”
In another opportunity, Leela became airborne as she swung the sharan; McGurk was struck hard in the skull as she flew through the air. As his large bulky body fell to the ground like a store mannequin that had been pushed over, Leela was quickly on top of him. She pulled out her ceremonial dagger and held in on high for its death-plunge into his chest. She called out loudly in the cyclops language - “For the honor of the saints! For the honor of the noble dead!”
The two cyclops brothers quickly came down to join Leela. “You don’t need to do this,” Sangero told her in the cyclops tongue, “the humani are beaten. Let them lick their wounds and leave.” Sangero could see that wild fire of the cyclops in her eye. “Baby Sister, you fought both of them with honor.”
Leela suddenly heard the charging handle on an 8 mm rifle slide back. Bouchard came in close. “What are you going to do human - shoot me?”
“No.” He used his boot to slide the samurai sword away from McGurk’s hand. “This whole thing ends now. You don’t need to kill him - I think he’s learned his lesson. We’ve all learned our lesson.”
Turanga Leela let out a breath, and slowly started to relax - she put the dagger back in it’s curved sheath, and climbed off of the bulky McGurk. She then addressed Dakota. “I’m sorry about your father, but I did not kill him. You now have an opportunity to get real criminals behind bars - I suggest you use it. And I don’t want to see you on my world ever again. Do we understand each other?”
The humans shook their heads without speaking.
“Now, there’s a medical station near that Earth hostel I spoke to you about; you can get Big Lenny over there and get him patched up. Leave, and we will harass you no further.”
As they prepared to get McGurk to his feet, Bouchard faced Sangero and attempted a bow; the cyclops bowed back. The message was communicated clearly that there would be no more trouble from the humans.
Sangero then looked after Leela. “You’re bleeding…”
“I’ll manage.”
“Let us at least get you over to Miss Draxal’s...she can clean up that wound. You are very lucky not to have lost an arm.” He then whispered something to Leela.
Leela looked over at the lifeless body of Nambu. “Miss Colton…”
Dakota turned. “Yes?”
“My friends here are willing to honor your samurai with a warrior’s funeral pyre.”
“You would be willing to do that…”
“Of course - she fought with honor, and bravery. It’s the least I can do.”
“Very well then - I’ll allow it.” McGurk looked at her as if he could kill her, but he didn’t say anything.
“You will be presented with the ashes tomorrow by a shaman; I will not be there.” She then presented the sheathed sword and her tanto dagger to her. “For honor.”
Dakota accepted the swords, shook her head once in agreement, and walked away with Bouchard and a limping McGurk behind her. The Irishman, his jaw starting to swell up like a tennis ball, took one last look at the cyclops warrior woman as she left. “Stinkin’ heathen…”

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
Two top-notch fight scenes in a row.  How could anyone top that?  Good job, Gulliver! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

...The Irishman, his jaw starting to swell up like a tennis ball, took one last look at the cyclops warrior woman as she left. “Stinkin’ heathen…”

Growing up in a community of people almost exclusively of Irish, Italian, and Jewish ancestry, I heard at a tender age such expressions - but said in much more, shall we say, florid language...ifyaknowwhatImean.

I'm liking more and more this Cyclopean world you've created.

...the closest I've been to the Far East is chatting it up with the good folks in the Japan store at Epcot, who endured me trying to learn and use their language. They were gracious, and even taught me a few things.

I had to give up a lot of things people take for granted in order to travel as part of the racket I'm in, but have learned many useful lessons in the process.  One of them is that people everywhere in the world appreciate you at least trying to use their language and learn about their culture.  Sounds like you succeeded.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Growing up in a community of people almost exclusively of Irish, Italian, and Jewish ancestry, I heard at a tender age such expressions - but said in much more, shall we say, florid language...ifyaknowwhatImean.

::laughs:: Growing up with my dad, who was all Irish and German, I heard many of those...expressions. And he was from New York City - he had words no one had ever heard of that he used. He used to butcher the English languish on a regular basis.  :ehwhat: I  was so proud when Vin Diesel in a movie tossed around one of his words, calling someone a "jamoke." He also used to bat around "Ach du liebe" which literally means "Oh for the love of..." RIP Pops - he was gone ten years on Wednesday.

I'm liking more and more this Cyclopean world you've created.

I'm glad you guys are...world building like this is sort of what I've always wanted to do since I was a kid watching Star Trek in the early 1970's.

One of them is that people everywhere in the world appreciate you at least trying to use their language and learn about their culture.

I love any travel I can do, and I love immersing myself in the local customs. If I went to Japan, I'd want to be Japanese for the time I was there, or at least as much as possible. I sorta did that in New Orleans - I love the Quarter.

Offline Flounder

• Board Moderator
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:00 AM »
...since I was a kid watching Star Trek in the early 1970's.

ST: TOS for the win!!

I love any travel I can do, and I love immersing myself in the local customs. If I went to Japan, I'd want to be Japanese for the time I was there, or at least as much as possible. I sorta did that in New Orleans - I love the Quarter.

A good friend of mine from the Navy and his family live in Luling, right up the river from NOLA.  Whenever I visit them, Jeff plays hooky from work and we go dashing down to see something new and fantastic in Nawlins, such as the D-Day Museum or a restaurant he and his wife like.  Café au lait and beignets at Café du Monde in the Quarter - it doesn't get any more touristy than that! :giggle:
Want to see the result of poor management and worse maintenance that hurt New Orleans?  Search for "MV Bright Field."  There are videos that graphically illustrate the story.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
Café au lait and beignets at Café du Monde in the Quarter

It is touristy, and a wonderful way to start any day in the Quarter. I still have a coffee mug from there. Then, for lunch, I'd head for the Gumbo Shop in the middle of the Quarter for a seafood gumbo and a Dixie Beer. In the afternoon I'd go to Lafitte's Pirate Shop or Pat O' Brien's for a hurricane - if they're made right, you'll wander around saying, "Life's good...life's good..." We had two forays into the Quarter, and I enjoyed both of them immensely. I also enjoyed things like visiting Our Lady of Guadelupe church and St. Louis Cemetery No. 2. I love that town.

Offline Gulliver63

• Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
...and finally, the conclusion of my story...

It was a sunny, windy afternoon when the Earth students arrived back at the manor house. Master Yoss happily greeted Leela.
“Miss Turanga, did you get your terranos out of the way?”
“I’m happy to say that I did.”
He then noticed the bandaged arm. “By the seven gods child, what did you do to your arm?”
Leela grinned. Not wanting to share the details of the battle among the students, she decided to fudge a little. “Quong beast run amok.”
“Ahh...you must be more careful with those quong beasts. They can be ferocious fighters. Hopefully you used your weapons well to defend yourself...”
The smile quickly melted from her face as she looked down. “I did what I had to do.”
One of the human veterinary students got a confused look on her face. “They can do that?”
“Oh yes,” Master Yoss told her, “they’re not to be treated without respect.”
Leela then looked over and saw that one of the other students was petting her veng beast Ona on the neck. She tapped Master Yoss on the shoulder and pointed.
“She really likes getting her neck scratched,” the student told Leela.
“She’s a good judge of people.” Leela walked over to them. “Would you like to learn how to ride her?”
“Really?”
“Sure! If she does bolt a bit, just steer clear of those spikes on that tail.”
Master Yoss chuckled as Turanga Leela returned to doing something that she really enjoyed, which was teaching others the way of her world.

The remaining crew of the Betty Lou were lucky that both Bouchard and McGurk had piloting skills; the Irishman’s jaw was still black and blue from the battle. They limped the ship as far as Ganymede Station before they had to briefly dry dock for repairs. They secured a berth for the ship, and realized that they needed to order more parts. They didn’t want to order them from Planet Express, but they were the preferred vendor of the station. And the old green ship was already parked in a nearby berth within an hour of their arrival - ordering ahead really helped. The crew welcomed the walk around the ship, even if it wasn’t exactly fresh air they were breathing.
Bouchard looked after his Irish friend with concern as he began to walk away from the ship. “Are you going to be alright?”
“Just wonderful. I understand that they have a dentist here - I’m gonna track him down.”
Dakota sat on the edge of the boarding ramp leafing through a parts catalog; they needed a glycol pump and hose - fascinating stuff. She had failed miserably - no bounty, no prisoner, and she had to pay for the whole adventure out of her own pocket. And her friend Nambu was dead. As she turned the page of the catalog, a woman’s voice drifted across her shoulder.
“Ma’am?”
As Dakota spun around, she nearly went into cardiac arrest when she saw that eye again - that hideous singular eye. What was it capable of seeing? Could it peer deep into a person’s soul? As an instinct, she already had a spanner wrench in her hand.
It was that same silly cyclops girl that they’d dealt with on Earth. “Ma’am - I have one glycol pump and a hose, and two valves. All I need is a thumbprint.”
Dakota just stood there trying to catch her breath. She had to remind herself that she was dealing with a young woman barely out of her teens...and a delivery person at that.
The young girl spoke again, seemingly concerned. “Ma’am? Are you alright? If this is a bad time…”
Dakota blinked. “No...no, this isn’t a bad time.” She gave her thumbprint and quickly took the package from Sara. The young girl could tell she was nervous.
“Was your journey successful?”
Dakota just stared at her. She quickly realized that the girl was just trying to make small talk, probably as part of her customer service training. “No..we weren’t successful. We lost a crew member.”
“I’m sorry to hear that. Have a good rest of your journey.” She handed Dakota the receipt and she quickly went back to the green ship. Dakota watched the cyclops walk away. “Where have I seen this woman? I could swear I know her...” she thought.
“Baby Brother - get this tub of crap warmed up and let’s get out of here.”
“Why? What’s your hurry?”
“It was the weird lady again...my cyclops sense was screaming in my head to get away from her.”
Phil Jr. couldn’t resist a chuckle. “It talks to you?” He then noticed how serious she was.
“It’s like your reaching out to a dangerous snake - it screams, ‘Get away! Get away!’ in your skull. I can’t wait to tell mother about this...it’s rarely been this bad.”
Phil Jr. flipped the master battery switches and the gyros began to whir. “Walk around is already done. How does Fishy Joe’s at Phobos sound?”
“Sounds great - let’s just get the hell out of here.”

The End

Offline MTC29

• Whale Oil Tycoon
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
...and finally, the conclusion of my story...

“Quong beast run amok.”
“Ahh...you must be more careful with those quong beasts. They can be ferocious fighters.

You can say that again. I remember when you and I and Flounder were vacationing on Cyclon and staying at a ranch and were nearly caught in a quong stampede. It took a lot of blue-peachberry wine to calm me down.

It was a great story and I hope to see Dakota Winchester make another appearance in the not so distant future.
Nothing can be made idiot proof because idiots are far too clever.