Author Topic: Just a Doodle...  (Read 35 times)

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
Just a Doodle...
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
In artistic terms, this is merely a "doodle." I'm in between projects right now, and I did this just to play and loosen my typing fingers up. There is no real story that goes with this (so far). But it's still fun to "sketch." Flounder and MTC have already seen this.
     I combined two different thingees in this piece. The first one was how alien Spock appeared when he returned to the Enterprise in the first Star Trek movie. He didn't even really move the way he did when he was their science officer. The second thing I wanted to play with was the scene in "The Godfather" where Scollozzo spoke to Michael Corleone in Italian. My alternate Leela had been so long in her cyclops culture that she didn't even often speak in Galactic like her old friends. Luckily this young captain of the Artaxerxes was well versed in Cyclopae.
     Anyway, let's go out and play. And, as Larry Niven says, the playground gate is open.

The crew of the Artaxerxes stared in wonder as the robed figure followed the young captain toward the Officer’s Wardroom. When she neared the entrance, she stopped and pulled down her hood to reveal a flowing waterfall of curly purple hair. She turned and stared at the curious onlookers with her single, cycloptic eye. Her slightly oval eyeball seemed to scan each and every one of them. She whispered to her human host, and her voice had an almost musical quality to it.
   “Humani runeera…”
   Captain Pritchard grinned. “Yes, the humans are curious...most have never seen a cyclops before.” He then gestured to the wardroom with it’s green leather seats and expensive Martian teakwood table. “If you’ll follow me this way.”
   As the group entered the room after her, she noticed a bottle of cyclops cinnamon brandy and expensive crystal glasses on the table. She examined the bottle. “Chaldeg-baru...the expensive stuff. Not the cheap hooch they offer to the tourists.”
   “It wasn’t easy to come by,” said Pritchard. “I was hoping it would improve my chances.”
   She looked at him. “Chances of what?”
   “Enlisting your help; I’ve heard that you can be...difficult to cut a deal with.”
   “By who’s standards? The Company?”
   Pritchard glanced at the insignia on his uniform. “I don’t deal with the Company - as you know, we had to go to war with them once.” He offered the cyclops a seat, and she accepted. He then poured two glasses of the brandy, which gave off a strong odor of cinnamon.
   Captain Pritchard then addressed those around him. “I’m going to speak with Ms. Turanga in her native language, if you don’t mind.”
   The Admiral nodded and Pritchard took a seat. He welcomed her to the ship. “Sitara...mon heshda. Sesarami a Artaxerxes.”
   The crewmembers around her placed their translator devices in their ears. The two continued on in Cyclopae.
   “This invitation was unusual.” Leela was naturally curious. “Why have you invited me onboard your ship? I’m sure this isn’t merely a cultural exchange.”
   “M’lady, we need your help in a matter.”
   “Help? I’m sitting on the most powerful warship DOOP has, and I’m surrounded by a navy. What possible help could one lone alien woman offer?”
“Why, it’s hard to think of you as an alien; I’d like to think of you as one of us.”
“Are you totally certain that I’m one of you?” Leela took a sip of her brandy. Pritchard noticed a change in her eye; it was hard for her to hide that twinge of anger. “I think you’re aware that I am not a human.”
Pritchard followed suit with a sip of his drink. “Neither was Kif Kroker; he was a loyal, industrious naval officer until the time of his conversion. We have many alien species on board this vessel.”
“True.” She had another sip of her beverage - this was the best she’d had in a while. She then tapped the glass with her finger, and Pritchard filled it again. “Your negotiations started well with this bottle. What exactly are you wanting from me?”
“We need you to deal with a certain individual…”
She took another sip. “Ahh...you want me to kill a man. You want me to hunt him down like a sandtiger in a Martian cave and cut him to pieces.”
“In a word…” he glanced around the room at the other officers, “...yes.”
“Not only am I not a human, but I’m not a mercenary either. You may have wasted good brandy.”
“You haven’t heard the name of the individual yet…Karusa Da.”
Leela studied Pritchard’s face. Not only could that eye find a person at night by the heat put off from the body, but it could sense minute changes in the human face. In short, she could almost always spot a lie being told before the human had a chance to vocalize it. It was a trait that drove her husband and children half mad at times - they could get nothing by her. And by all appearances, this humani appeared to be on the level.
“And what do I get in return for this favor that I’m about to do? A chest of dabloons? Platiluminum bars?”
“What is it you’d want? I know you’re not motivated by greed...like you said, you’re not a mercenary.”
“Correct. A great way to start is by supplying us with a healthy shipment of omnicilin for our more distant outposts in the country. Some more medical training for a few of our physicians would be nice. I want to cut right through the bureaucratic piles of paper and get it done.”
“Is that all? I could supply you that right off the ship. Anything else?”
Leela paused. “We have a bit of a famine going on to the south of us. Some boxes of insta-meals and some blankets wouldn’t hurt. Now...what do you need on my end?”
“Cyclops warriors.”
Her eye squeezed. “I have friends who want this man’s hide hanging on their wall - there’s already a blood contract on his head. I can give you ten warriors, seasoned trackers all.” She finished off her glass and gave a contented grin back to the human. “I won’t need a stateroom; a lower berth will suffice.”
“Petty Officer Baum will show you the way.”
Without ceremony, the cyclops left the room. As they watched the famed Warrior Witch  Woman depart, a lieutenant spoke to Pritchard. “Ten men? That’s all?”
“Son, you don’t know much about a cyclops warrior. Out of those ten men, we may have to send a few home.”
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:51:52 PM by Gulliver63 »
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

Offline KurtPikachu2001

• Osiris 4 Priest
Re: Just a Doodle...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Great job you did with this, Gulliver.  You have a creative flair for this type of stuff!

Offline El-Man

• MomCorp Stockholder
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »
I'm sensing this is a slightly older Leela... her legend has grown, and she has curly hair now.

Offline Gulliver63

• Egocentrist Extraordinaire
  • Whale Oil Tycoon
  • Speaker to Cyclopes
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
Great job you did with this, Gulliver.

Thanks. This was the alternate Leela I dove in with back in 2011.

I'm sensing this is a slightly older Leela... her legend has grown, and she has curly hair now.

Exactly. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's sort of like comparing the 1967 Spock of the show with the 1978 movie version. I chose the hair that way as I've always loved to draw her like that.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." Rodney Dangerfield

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore, always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields